WINE FIESTA 2015 SINGAPORE-STYLE FOOD WINE & MUSIC PRESENTED BY THE STRAITS WINE COMPANY
By Jason Paul
This October the Straits Wine Company will once again present the much looked forward to Singapore Wine Fiesta. Back for its 8th consecutive year, Singapore’s largest annual outdoor wine festival, Wine Fiesta 2015 promises to be better than ever.
Held from 22nd to 25th October at Clifford Square (beside Fullerton Bay Hotel), Wine Fiesta 2015 is where guests can expect to indulge in over 350 wine labels and meet over 70 global winemakers who will be present to share their passion and knowledge about wines.
“We have painstakingly curated a cross-section of wines (reds, whites, old world and new world) that both aficionados and beginners can enjoy for their surprising qualities, rich characteristic and bold flavours”
says Moritz Deyle, Deputy Head of Sales and Sommelier, at The Straits Wine Company
Wine highlights at Wine Fiesta 2015 include:-
- Castello di Brolio Chianti Classico Grand Selezione 2011, Chianti Classico, Tuscany, Italy. This historical estate is the oldest winery in Italy and the second oldest family winery in the world. This Chiant Calssico is produced using only the best selections of grapes from the Ricasoli family estates.
- Vina Pedrosa “Gran Reserva” 2006, Ribera del Duero, Spain. A beautiful Tempranillo with a splash of Cabernet aged for five years before release.
- AIX Rose 2014, Provence, France. A multi-award winning organic Provence Rose.
With many other interesting wines on offer at Wine Fiesta 2015, including the following selection which caught our eye:-
- Man ‘O War Gravestone 2012, Waiheke Island, New Zealand
- Scott Wines Shiraz 2010, Adelaide Hills, Australia
- Matthieu Barret Cornas Brise Cailloux 2012, North Rhone, France
- Carrick Pinot Noir Bannockburn 2013, Central Otago, New Zealand,
- G.D. Vajra Barolo Albe 2011, Piedmont, Italy
- Vietta Barbera d’Alba Scarrone 2012, Piedmont Italy
- Vina Pedrosa Cepa Gavilan Crianza 2012, Ribera del Duero, Spain
- Max Ferdinand Richter Spatlese Brauneberger Juffer 2008, Mosel. Germany
- Marques de Murrieta Capellania White Rioja 2010, Rioja, Spain
- McHenry Hohnen 3 Amigos White 2011, Margaret River, Australia
This year, Wine Fiesta 2015 is celebrating SG50, Singapore’s jubilee year with the theme “Singapore-style food, wine and music“.
Four renowned Singaporean chefs, Malcolm Lee from Candlenut, Bjorn Shen from Artichoke, Matthew Mok from The Rabbit Stash and Cheryl Koh from Tarte by Cheryl Koh will each be presenting three original dishes specially created for Wine Fiesta 2015 and these will be paired with selected wines.
We think it is quite a brave decision from the organisers to bring in these local chefs whose offerings include some powerfully-flavoured or spicy local dishes, which whilst very tasty are not the usual foods you would find at a wine tasting event – for example beef cheek redang burger with achar and cheddar cheese (from Chef Matthew Mok) or grilled buah keluak & garlic and chilli sausages with mustard greens (from Chef Malcolm Lee). Although wine pairings are suggested for each dish, there is a risk that some dishes could over-power some of the wines on offer, and we suggest some careful planning of your food and wine sequence may be worthwhile to get the most out of all that the occasion has to offer.
Local music talents will be performing at Wine Fiesta 2015, including Kerong Organ Trio (pictured above), Roze & The Family Soul, Taj, Tim de Cotta, Vandetta, and Weish, or you can enjoy a more upbeat tempo with nightly sets from DJ Funk Bast*rd (Darker Than Wax).
Keeping with the SG50 theme, walkabout tickets for Wine Fiesta 2015 are priced at 50 SGD, with discounts for multiple purchases and Standard Chartered cardholders. Buy tickets HERE.
Wine Fiesta 2015 event details:
- Date : 23-25 October
- Venue : Clifford Square, 80 Collyer Quay, S094326
- Opening hours
Fri 23rd Oct : 4pm to 10pm
Sat 24th Oct : 12pm to 10pm
Sun 25th Oct : 12pm to 9pm
An exclusive Winemaker’s Table Dinner will be taking place on 22nd October. Diners will have the rare opportunity to sample 75 iconic wines and vintages with the respective winemakers playing host. This wine tasting at the Winemaker’s Table is complemented by a dinner prepared by four home-grown chefs. Tickets are limited and are priced at SGD$228++ per person.
More information about Wine Fiesta 2015 can be found HERE
Wine Fiesta 2015 tickets are available from SISTIC or any of the 11 The Straits Wine Company stores in Singapore.
See you there! Cheers.