PARTNER WORKOUT SERIES BY FITNESS FIRST’S TAWFIQ CHONG
Sweat together and stay together! A workout can be a great bonding session with your partner or friend. Here, we share how Fitness First trainers Tawfiq and Naila do it in tandem!
1) Medicine ball – side to side Russian twist
- STEP 1: Lie down knees bent, with your feet on the floor. Get your partner to hold on firmly to your feet.
- STEP 2: Holding on to the medicine ball, elevate your upper body so that it creates an imaginary V-shape with your thighs. Your arms should be fully extended in front of you perpendicular to your torso. This is the starting position.
- STEP 3: Twist your torso to the right side until your arms are parallel with the floor while breathing out.
- STEP 4: Hold the contraction for a second and move back to the starting position while breathing out. Now move to the opposite side performing the same techniques you applied to the right side.
- Repeat both left & right for 20 repetitions.
* SAFETY PRECAUTION *
Beginners should do this exercise slowly and focus on form instead of focusing on speed. Slow down while performing the twist so as to better engage the abdominal muscles. Those who have lower back problems can try to perform this exercise without the medicine ball. Straighten your arms, and keep your elbows locked and palm clasped together throughout the execution of this exercise.
2) Sit up partner “Hi 5 claps”
- STEP 1: Partners are to sit facing each other in a sit up position, interlocking legs together.
- STEP 2: Both perform a sit up at the same time with both hands extended. Give your partner a high five each time you perform a sit up.
- Do 20 repetitions of this exercise.
For beginners or individuals with lower back problems to start the exercise without the “hi 5 claps” – recommended to use hands to touch bent knees.
3) Stationary Plank “partner drill” with side to side jump
- STEP 1: Partner A does a side to side jump over partner B, while partner B performs a stationery plank on the ground for 5 repetitions.
- STEP 2: Switch positions, this time with Partner A performing a stationary plank while Partner B doing the side to side jump over partner A.
- Repeat exercise for 5 sets each.
* SAFETY PRECAUTION *
Beginners should perform this exercise slowly; make room and space for the exercise. Beginners can try to take a step over their partner instead of jumping over.
4) BOSU® Balance Trainer – Burpees push-up with lift “partner drill”
- STEP 1: Partner A to stand in front of a BOSU® Balance Trainer. The BOSU® should be placed on the floor dome side down. Partner B to stand directly opposite Partner A.
- STEP 2: Partner A to get into a squat position and places hands on the BOSU® Balance Trainer.
- STEP 3: Drive both legs backward fully extended into a push up position.
- STEP 4: Perform a push up on the BOSU® Balance Trainer and drive knees back to squatting position.
- STEP 5: Stand upright while lifting the balance trainer so as to perform a deadlift, keeping a long spine.
- Do this exercise as a tag team. Partner B repeats the move while Partner A rests. Complete 20 repetitions per person.
* SAFTEY PRECAUTION *
Beginners should not Jump to a push up position. It is highly recommended for beginners to perform an alternate single leg step back to push up position instead. Make sure you have a firm grip on the BOSU® Balance Trainer.
5) ViPRTM – ViPRTM ice skater “40”seconds
- STEP 1: Begin by holding the ViPRTM at the handle in front of the hips.
- STEP 2: Maintain a flat back throughout to ensure the hips are properly loaded.
- STEP 3: Maintain an athletic stance throughout.
- STEP 4: Take a step to the right with your right foot and plant the foot firmly on the ground, have the opposite hand of that foot reach across the body to knee height.
- STEP 5: Decelerate through the hips and push off to start position.
- STEP 6: Repeat this move on the other side by taking step to the left with your left foot.
- Do this exercise together or as a tag team – while one person performs the ice skater, the other one rests.
* SAFTEY PRECAUTION *
Beginners must land softly while performing the exercise and should always keep the knees bent slightly. Choose a suitable ViPRTM weight for this exercise.
See how the experts do it by watching Tawfiq Chong and Naila Misran as they work out together.
Fitness First Facebook: HERE
Related articles :-